The strength of metal-based structures is something we take for granted in our lives. Buildings offer steel rebar to reinforce their foundations. Bridges use metal beams for stability over decades of use. Our cars have various metal framing pieces to help keep us safer in the event of an accident.
Simply stated, metal offers all sorts of impressive advantages in our everyday lives. With this type of strength and power in mind, why don’t we think of metal when we’re planning a new garage build?
Metal garages have become an increasingly popular option for garages, carports, and other structure builds. This post will get into all the best advantages metal garages offer above the competition.
From understanding metal garage strength to answering the question “How long do metal garages last?”, we’ll explore the benefits of this affordable option for durable garage space. We will also answer several questions you may have about why you may want to choose metal over wood or other materials.
7 Reasons to Choose a Metal Garage
1. Metal Garages Are Good Value for Money
The truth right now is that the cost of all goods has risen substantially. The pandemic spiked prices up due to supply issues, labor shortages, and other factors. Although the price has come down somewhat, you will still probably notice price hikes compared to pre-pandemic costs.
Fortunately, metal garages provide a more affordable choice for your money. You can generally expect to pay less for metal garages than wood or other materials. Companies like Metal Carports also include installation and delivery fees in their quotes to make the budgeting even more transparent.
2. Metal Garages Are Customizable for Your Precise Needs
If you need a basic garage to hold one or two cars, you can get a metal garage to fit the bill. If you require something bigger like a workshop, that option is available as well.
Modular garages are adaptable to match your particular needs. This is what makes them such a great advantage for anyone who wants a carport, workspace, or other building.
Metal Carports offers a variety of options for your needs. This includes 2-car carports, 3-car carports, A-frame metal garages, and vertical roof garages.
Do you want something more specific for your build? Because metal garages are modular and customizable, you can also put together a custom piece that makes sense for your requirements. The best part is that you can customize a modular design at an affordable cost compared to a custom-built wood or concrete garage.
3. Metal Garages Require Less Construction Time
With several parts being prefabricated, metal garage assembly time is typically far faster than wood-framed garages. When your garage is delivered and installed, the building design allows the team to move rapidly and expertly through the construction process.
The modular parts mean there is less time needed in setting up and putting all the components together. That way, you can enjoy your strong, durable garage much faster than you might expect.
4. Metal Garages Are Highly Durable and Resistant to Weather and Wear
With several modular, prefabbed components, metal garages are manufactured to a high standard of quality. This includes sturdy interior bracing to ensure both reliability and durability no matter what your garage faces.
Metal components are topped with an anti-rust coating to prevent premature weathering. The metal construction also naturally stops potential infestation from wood-boring insects like termites or carpenter ants.
From a weather point of view, metal garages are rated highly against multiple types of weather conditions. These include the following:
- High winds
- Hurricanes and heavy rain
- Heavy snowfall
Additionally, metal construction is more durable against fire than traditional wood or other building materials. This could provide a saving grace if your property is located in an area that is prone to wildfires or other heat and fire-related risks.
5. Metal Garages Are More Sustainable
Sustainability continues to become an increasingly critical concern in everything we do. Fortunately, metal garages offer tons of benefits in the sustainability department.
For one, metal garages are made from entirely recyclable material. Steel remains the most recycled metal in the world. Other metals can also be used and recycled multiple times over.
Wood-based structures are partially biodegradable. However, many components of a wood-framed garage may not be as recyclable as the steel or other metal garage pieces.
Many wood-framed garages also need additional labor, materials, and heavy machinery to complete the job. By opting for metal, you cut down on all these elements — and enjoy a much more eco-friendly solution.
6. Metal Garages Are Potentially Moveable
While this may not always be the case depending on your metal garage, it is often possible to take down a metal garage and relocate it if you choose to move.
Metal garages are constructed with prefabricated, modular parts. Because of this, most builds can be disassembled, moved, and reassembled with relative ease.
This could be a great option if you would like to move your garage to a new property. It could also be helpful if you need to relocate your metal garage someplace else on your current property.
However, not every metal garage build will offer this option, so make sure to inquire about potential moving before purchase and installation.
7. Metal Garages Require Less Cleaning and Maintenance
Wood-made garages have a few methods to preserve construction material like paint, weatherproofing, and wood staining. Yet, the truth is that wood is often more vulnerable to wear and tear than a metal garage.
Wood is typically more vulnerable to rot from problems like recurrent moisture, wet weather, and humidity. These problems are amplified in climates with high humidity or extreme heat such as the west or the southeast United States.
What this boils down to is devoting much more of your time to cleaning, repainting, weatherproofing, and other preservation methods for your investment. Conversely, the primary metal garage strength is its durability to the elements.
Coated metal remains rust-proof and much less susceptible to damage from weather, moisture, and humidity. This leads to less time you will have to devote to cleaning and maintenance on your garage.
Metal Garage FAQs
Q: How strong is a metal garage?
Simply stated, the strength of metal garages is grounded in the construction material itself. Metal provides a highly reinforced option for your garage. What this amounts to is a sturdier, stronger storage area that better withstands the elements over time.
The strongest metal garages are made from reinforced steel. Many competing metal garage companies use aluminum as their metal to save costs. As you probably could guess, though, aluminum is far weaker as a metal option than steel.
Steel garages provide an extremely strong and durable solution for your storage needs. Steel is considerably strong than other metals like aluminum. And garages from Metal Carports offer steel garage kits with thicker steel than many of our competitors.
Q: Are metal garages sturdy?
“Sturdy” is a bit of a loaded term to start with, here! To answer this question, you should compare the advantages of building with metal over wood in a variety of factors:
- Metal framing has continued to gain strength and durability in construction while getting lighter in overall weight.
- Metal framing like steel is not flammable, making it much sturdier and stronger in case of fire.
- Metal framing like steel does not shrink, split, or warp — even in extreme temperature situations. This makes it much sturdier than wood in climates with extreme weather like heat, cold, or moisture.
- Metal garages, as steel-frame buildings, can better withstand environmental factors like high wind, snow, rain, and even earthquakes compared to wood buildings.
Q: How long do metal garages last?
Metal garage life relies directly on its construction. Steel and similar materials reinforce metal garage construction. These materials create superior longevity compared with wood, concrete, or other materials.
So, how do we answer the question, “How long will a metal garage last?” The answer is anywhere from 20 to 30 years on average. But with great care and regular maintenance, your metal garage can likely last far longer than the estimated shelf life.
Q: What is the life expectancy of a metal garage?
As mentioned in the prior question, you can expect the lifespan of a metal garage to endure anywhere from 20 to 30 years. However, there are plenty of ways you can extend the life of your garage through regular care and maintenance.
Here are 3 ways you can extend the life of your metal garage.
- Regular Inspections and Maintenance: Durability does not mean invincibility. Make sure your garage remains free from damage, dents, and rust. Regular inspections will help stop these common problems from occurring in your garage.
- Waterproofing: While most metal garages are installed with rust neutralizers and other coatings, these may not be enough depending on your location. Like regular inspections, you may want to apply waterproofing agents to your metal garage every 6 months to 1 year. This will stop premature rust and other problems from occurring altogether.
- Keeping the Interior Clean: Take some time to ensure your interior is clean, just like your garage exterior. Clean all chemicals and tools that could inadvertently affect the metal walls or roof. If any interior damage occurs, make sure to repair it as quickly as possible.
Q: Are metal garages stronger than wood?
Metal garage strength is based on resistance to various factors like weather, heat, wear and tear, and rust.
Metal garages offer superior strength compared to wood in several ways:
- Resistant to Elements: Metal is more resistant to factors like rain, moisture, snow, and more. Wood is often more susceptible to environmental factors.
- Insect and Pest-Proof: Wood or other construction materials may be more susceptible to infestation from pests like termites, ants, carpenter bees, and others. Metal materials do not attract insects in the same way.
- Long-Lasting: As mentioned, metal garages can last decades if properly cared for and maintained. Even the most carefully maintained wood structures would not be able to last that long with the same amount of care.
Q: How good are metal garages?
Hopefully, all of the above questions have given you insight into whether or not a metal garage is good. As discussed, look for the following aspects in your garage build to understand what is the best choice for you:
- Superior construction
- Affordable price
- Ease of construction and removal
- Durability over time
- Resistance to adverse weather
Any of these factors would likely give you a favorable view of metal garages. Weighing the pros and cons of any construction project is always important to the building process. But as you can see, metal garages are as good as you think they are.
Metal Carports: Your Source for Superior Garage Solutions
As this blog post has shown, opting for a metal garage provides you with a variety of advantages. From a more affordable cost to a much better lifespan and protection from the elements, metal garages offer an exceptional value for practically any purpose.
Your ideal garage or carport does not have to remain a pipe dream. With metal garages from Metal Carports, you can enjoy exceptional options at a price you deserve.
Would you like to know more about how a metal garage will benefit you? Get in touch with the team at Metal Carports today. We’ll work with you to find the exact solution that meets all your goals (and your budget).