Whether you're building a new home or looking to add a garage to your existing…
The cost of building a detached metal garage can vary widely depending on a number of factors, such as the size, materials, location, and labor costs. In this ultimate guide to detached garage cost, we'll break down the factors that affect the cost of building a detached garage and provide a cost breakdown for different types of garages. By understanding the cost of your garage project and budgeting accordingly, you can build the perfect detached garage for your home or business.
Benefits Of Having A Detached Garage
In addition to being a great investment for your property value, having a detached garage can provide many benefits for homeowners, including:
- Additional storage space: A detached garage provides additional storage space for vehicles, tools, and equipment, freeing up space inside the main house.
- Versatility: A detached garage can be used for a variety of purposes, such as a workshop, home gym, or even a guest room or living space.
- Privacy: Having a detached garage can provide privacy and separation between the garage and the main house.
- Noise reduction: A detached garage can help reduce noise levels in the main house, especially if the garage is used for activities such as woodworking or music practice.
- Added property value: A detached garage can add value to a property, as it provides an additional structure on the land. This can be especially appealing to potential buyers if you decide to sell your home in the future.
- Flexibility in design: A detached garage can be designed to fit your specific needs and preferences, with a variety of materials, styles, sizes, and custom options available.
Detached Garage Cost Factors
The cost of building a detached garage is an important factor for homeowners and business owners to consider. Most importantly, before beginning the process of having a new structure built on your property, it’s vital to set a realistic budget for the project, as the cost of building a detached custom garage can vary depending on several factors.
Size Of The Garage
The garage size is probably the most significant factor in determining the overall cost, as it relies on the square footage of materials needed to build it. The larger the garage, the more materials will be needed, which will result in higher costs. Generally, a one-car garage will be less expensive to build than a two-car garage or a garage that accommodates multiple cars or includes extra storage space like a loft or second floor.
Type Of Materials Used
The materials used to build the garage can also have a significant impact on the overall cost. For example, a garage made with high-quality materials such as brick or stone will cost more than one built with wood or metal. Other factors that can affect the cost of materials include the type of roofing, windows, and doors used.
Locations and Permits
The location of the garage and the permits required can also impact the overall cost. Building codes and regulations vary from city to city, and the requirements for permits can differ significantly depending on the location of your home or business. Before building your garage foundation, it is essential to research and acquire the necessary permits to avoid any additional costs or fines. Working with a contractor can help you navigate the regulations and paperwork associated with obtaining permits.
When you build a garage on your property, you want to ensure it is installed by experts. The cost of labor is a significant factor in the overall cost of your new garage. The cost of labor can vary depending on the contractor hired, the level of experience, and the complexity of the project. It's important to obtain multiple quotes from different garage builders to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money.
How Much Does a Detached Garage Cost?
You know the fundamentals you require in your detached garage, as well as the size, style, and materials you most want for your project, but what will your finished garage cost when all is said and done? You may not realize exactly just how much money all of your “must-haves” will eventually add up to, and where you can save money along the way.
Building a detached garage can provide many benefits for homeowners, but it's important to understand the costs involved so that you can have realistic expectations of what can be achieved within your budget, as well as take the time needed to save or consider financing options.
Average Detached Garage Costs
The cost of building a detached garage can vary widely depending on several factors, such as the size, materials used, and location. Looking at the average cost of a garage that is separate from the home, a newly built structure will estimate between $9,000 and $12,000 for a single-car garage and between $16,000 and $25,000 for a two-car garage. It’s important to remember, that using materials like prefabricated steel to build a detached garage can significantly save on cost.
Cost Comparison Between a Detached and Attached Garage
The pricing difference between an attached garage vs a detached garage can vary depending on several factors, such as location, materials used, and labor costs. Generally speaking, detached garages tend to be more expensive than attached garages due to the additional work and materials required to lay the garage foundation and construct a separate structure. Additionally, a detached garage may offer more design options and can be customized to meet specific needs, such as adding additional features like a workshop or a storage loft.
Cost Breakdown by Size and Materials Used
Here's a breakdown of the estimated costs for building a detached garage:
- Basic single-car detached garage: $3,000 - $5,000
- Mid-range single-car detached garage: $7,500 - $10,000
- High-end single-car detached garage: $12,000 - $16,000
- Basic two-car detached garage: $10,000 - $15,000
- Mid-range two-car detached garage: $16,000 - $20,000
- High-end two-car detached garage: $25,000 - $30,000
Cost per Square Foot
The cost per square foot of building a standard garage detached from your home can vary widely, but the average cost per square foot is between $40 and $70.
Types of Detached Garages
When it comes to building a detached garage, there are several types to choose from, depending on your functional needs and aesthetic preferences.
- Single-car: The average size of a single-car garage is typically around 12 feet wide by 22 feet long.
- Double-car: The average size of a double-car garage is typically around 24 feet wide by 22 feet long.
- Three-car or more: The average size of a three-car garage is typically around 36 feet wide by 22 feet long.
- Custom designs: Custom-designed garages can include features such as extra storage space, living areas, workshops, and more. The size and dimensions of a custom-designed garage can vary widely depending on the specific needs of the homeowner.
Garage Door Options
When it comes to building or renovating a garage, selecting the right garage door is an essential part of the process. Garage doors come in a variety of materials, designs, and sizes, and choosing the right option can improve both the functionality and aesthetic appeal of your garage.
Types of garage doors
There are several types of garage doors to choose from, including:
- Sectional garage doors: These doors are the most popular type of garage doors and consist of horizontal sections that slide up and over the garage ceiling.
- Roll-up garage doors: These doors consist of a single panel that rolls up into a compact coil when opened. They are often used in commercial or industrial settings.
- Side-hinged garage doors: These doors are typically made of wood and consist of two panels that swing open from the center.
- Tilt-up garage doors: These doors consist of a single panel that tilts up and over the garage ceiling when opened. They are often used in older homes.
Average Cost of Garage Doors
The national average cost of a garage door installation ranges from $730 to $1,320, depending on the type of door and the size of the garage.
Garage Door Installation Costs
In addition to the cost of the garage door itself, it's also important to factor in the cost of installation. The cost of installation can vary depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the installation, the location, and the contractor's fees, with the average cost of garage door installation being between $500 and $800.
Detached Garage Frequently Asked Questions
Does a detached garage increase property value?
Yes, a detached garage can increase the property value of a home. This is because it provides additional storage space and functionality, which can be appealing to potential buyers. Additionally, a detached garage can enhance the curb appeal of a property and add an extra structure to the land.
Is it cheaper to add on a garage or build a detached one?
The cost of adding on a garage versus building a detached one can vary depending on several factors, such as the location, size, and materials used. In some cases, it may be cheaper to add a garage to an existing structure. However, a detached garage can provide more privacy, noise reduction, and property value than an attached garage.
How much would it cost to build a 24 by 24 garage?
The average cost to build a basic 24 by 24 garage is between $14,000 and $20,000. However, the cost can vary depending on the specific needs and preferences of the homeowner, such as adding insulation, electrical work, and other features.
Ready to Build Your Dream Garage? Contact MetalCarports.com Today to Get Started!
At Metal Carports, we understand that building a detached metal garage is an investment that can significantly enhance the functionality and value of your property. That's why we are dedicated to providing high-quality, customizable metal buildings that are tailored to your specifications. Our expert team of professionals garage builders is committed to delivering exceptional customer service and expert installation to ensure that your dream garage becomes a reality.
Get started on receiving a quote on a detached garage building for your property today by filling out the contact form below or calling us at 877-517-4422.
"*" indicates required fields