Metal buildings are growing in popularity for use in home-based businesses, commercial buildings, and storage…
If you are planning to install a new metal building on your residential or commercial property, there are many factors to consider. From its size and location to the roof style and other design features, one of the most enjoyable aspects of installing a new metal building is customizing the structure's design. One of the most important design elements you need to consider is the building's color scheme.
Metal Carports' custom metal building design experts are here to help you with the important step of choosing the best color combinations for your new metal garage, metal carport, metal barn, or other metal building.
Introduction To Metal Building
Metal buildings are great ways to add a storage or workshop space to your home or business's property without spending the money, time, or effort of building an addition to your existing home or building. If your property is in need of a barn for animals, a space to store farm equipment, a backyard storage shed, a workshop for your business, or another use, an easy way to achieve a cost-effective, customizable space is by installing a metal building structure.
Metal buildings can be canopied with a roof without walls or they can be fully enclosed or semi-enclosed.
Examples of the types of metal buildings offered for customization by Metal Carports are:
- Metal carports: Available in 1, 2, or 3 car models and a variety of roof and color combinations.
- Metal garages: Fully enclosed structures equipped with garage doors, entry and exit doors, and windows.
- Metal barns: Whether it's housing horses, livestock, hay or grain, or farm equipment, a metal barn can act as an agricultural building or storage shed.
- Metal RV covers: Store your RV or other vehicles out of the way of harmful UV rays and harsh weather conditions that could damage your RV, camper, or motorhome.
Benefits of Metal Buildings
When installing a custom-made building on your property, there are many benefits to choosing a metal structure rather than wood or concrete.
Let's explore some of the many benefits of having a metal building installed by custom steel structure specialists:
- A steel building can hold more weight from rainwater and snowfall.
- Metal buildings are tried and tested for long-lasting durability.
- Effective at blocking harmful UV rays and harsh weather conditions from getting to equipment or vehicles.
- Increased safety for places that see hurricanes, tornados, or other damaging weather events, steel buildings can stand up more effectively than other materials.
- Steel is more affordable than many other building materials, making it a cost-effective choice.
- A sustainable, eco-friendly option since most metal building materials are easily recyclable.
- A faster build time means fewer costs for labor or by-the-hour contracting costs.
- Easy to expand on for additions and to relocate if you move the location of your home or business.
- Highly customizable materials allow for a full range of choices from the color chart and other design features.
Popular Metal Building Color Schemes
Our metal building color visualizer can help you decide the color scheme you prefer, allowing you to use a customizer visual aid to consider your metal building color options.
Using online resources to determine what colors look best together is a great way to get an idea of what roof color, wall color, trim color, and other color details will compliment the look of your metal building. Although an online color chart might look slightly different than the actual colors of the final building installation, it can give you an informed idea of how the same color will look.
Using Metal Carport's metal building color visualizer, you can compare and contrast how different building and roof types look in charcoal gray versus white or how a particular building looks with walls or trim in blue versus brown.
If you are unsure of what color aesthetic will look best, let's discuss how some of the common color choices can vary the look of a metal carport or metal garage and what colors are available for customizing our galvanized steel buildings.
Neutrals (white, gray, and black)
Neutral colors are the most common choices when it comes to customizing freestanding metal buildings. If you live in a place that sees a lot of sunlight or with high energy costs, opting for lighter rather than darker neutral tones is one way to cut down energy bills and limit the increased temperatures that a black roof might bring.
Neutral color options we offer for metal building customizations are:
- Pebble Beige
- Pewter Gray
- Quaker Gray
- Burnished Slate
Bold Colors (reds, blues, greens)
Using a bold, eye-catching color to attract business to your commercial site or to compliment the color of your home's current roof are great ways to integrate an interesting visual design that is well suited to your property's needs through its final building colors.
It's important to note that bold colors fade more easily than lighter or neutral tones. So, although metal paint is long-lasting, your custom metal structure will need to be maintained with a new coat of paint from time to time. If you do opt for bold colors, including a clear top coat to protect the vibrant color is a great way to preserve the longevity of the paint.
Some bold choices from our custom color chart are:
- Patriot Red
- Royal Blue
Medium shades of browns, beiges, and light stones are great ways to achieve a visually appealing metal building that won't fade or overheat. Earth tone combinations are some of the best-looking ways to customize steel building color.
Earth tones offered on the color charts for customizing a metal building are:
- Sand Stone
- Earth Brown
- Barn Red
Factors to Consider When Choosing Your Colors
When considering options for your metal building color, there are several factors that should not be ignored. For instance, how different colors react to the UV rays as well as whether the new metal building's colors will compliment the existing structures on your property.
Here are factors to consider when customizing colors on your metal carport, garage, barn, or combination structure.
- Local climate: Whether or not the chosen color can stand up to high, hot temperatures is important. For instance, dark colors attract higher temperatures from heat, so if you live somewhere where temps get high or your property gets a lot of UV sunlight, opting for a lighter shade roof would be a good choice.
- Environmental factors: Since lighter colors attract less heat from the sun, metal structures made from lighter neutral or earth-tone colors are more energy efficient and may result in lower energy costs.
- Existing structures on the property: Do you want your new metal building's colors to reflect your home or business's current visual aesthetic, by mimicking the same or similar color palette? It's something to consider when adding a new structure to your property.
- Desired tone or feeling: Want to celebrate patriotism with red, white, and blue combination colors or you may like to create an industrial building color feel through black and dark grays. Consider your business and the general tone you'd like to create, and then choose colors for your metal building that reflect that idea.
- Cost of different paint options: Sometimes different paint colors have different price points. If your budget is something you want to pay extra attention to, then choosing less expensive color paints for your metal building might be the best decision for you.
Frequently Asked Questions Around Metal Building Colors
Many of the frequently asked questions we receive regarding customizable metal buildings have to do with color combinations, so we want to share them with our customers.
What colors do metal buildings come in?
Answer: Metal building colors range from neutrals like white, black, and gray, earth tones like brown, tan, stone, or green, and bold colors like red or blue. Using our metal carport and other metal buildings customization tool, you can get an idea through your computer screen what a particular color combination will look like, although final building colors may vary slightly.
Should your metal building match your house?
Answer: While it may be nice to compliment a building color already on your property, there is no one-size-fits-all rule about metal building colors. If you'd like to match the color of your current home or business, our team can accommodate that request by choosing a similar palette, though depending on your steel building's location and climate, opting for another color choice might be preferable.
Can a steel building be painted?
Answer: Absolutely! Premium, exterior paint designed to coat metal surfaces are used on our custom metal buildings.
What colors look best on a metal building?
Answer: What looks best on a metal building depends on your personal design aesthetic, but some common color combinations we've seen that look great are:
- White roof + royal blue walls + burnished slate trim
- Rawhide roof + patriot red walls + earth brown trim
- Clay roof + evergreen walls + black trim
- Barn red roof + burgundy walls + pebble beige trim
- White roof + pewter gray walls + patriot red trim
Contact Metal Carports or Use Our 3D Builder To Design The Perfect Building For You
Do you need guidance in building a metal carport customized in a color scheme of your choice?
Our metal building service professionals at Metal Carports are happy to design a metal structure customized in the colors of your choice. The exterior of your steel building can be made in a variety of color options to best suit your property's needs and aesthetic.